HX3.6 First Aid (english)
You have installed the new board and there is no sound or some functions are faulty? Check the following settings with the HX3 Manager:
HX3 Manager does not start or with error message
- Hold down the SHIFT key when starting (double click hx3_manager.exe). This resets possibly faulty screen positions. This works only from HX3 Manager version #6.06.
- The HX3 Manager should be installed (unpacked/copied) in a directory whose path does not contain spaces or diacritical characters/umlauts, so for example D:\documents\hx3_stuff\ would be OK.
When playing notes, a few boards produce a "grainy" noise sometimes after switching on (i.e. sometimes every 3 to 10 power cycles). This is caused by timing issues from FPGA to DAC and DSP, and we solved it for every known case by improved I2S interfacing within FPGA structure. If updating the FPGA Sound Engine to #14102023 does not help and you still experience such behaviour, a small hardware modification is necessary. This has to be done free of charge in our workshop.
If you are confident and familiar with SMD soldering, you can also do this modification yourself (see picture on right): Remove resistors R1 and R8 (heat both sides with two soldering irons). Wire the solder joints from R1 and R8 to R34 (middle) as shown in picture with enamelled copper wire or thin (!) insulated wire. Do not use bare wire.
- Is a scan board connected? Operation without scan board is only possible with HX3 Expander or MIDI scan driver installed.
- In normal operation, the blue LED on the HX3 mainboard flashes about once per second, as well as when sending MIDI data. If it is lit continuously, an analog control input is probably open and "floating", which is why MIDI data is being sent all the time. In this case, connect the HX3 Manager with "Disable Analog Inputs on Connect" checked. This will temporarily set System Inits parameter #1503 to 0. Do not store System Inits with wrong #1503 value, otherwise analog controllers, swell pedal and foot switches will not work.
- If the blue LED flickers three times per second for a short time and is on otherwise, HX3.6 is in bootloader mode, because this was requested (encoder pressed during power-on) or FPGA Sound Engine or firmware are corrupted. A connection with the editor is then not possible.
- Is valid board information displayed in the HX3 Updater (version and serial numbers, min. activation Organ Licence OK)?
- Does the displayed scan driver match your scan board? If not, install matching Scan Driver.
- Are the manual enables in MIDI Setup #1373 set to 7?
- Are the volume pots set to plausible values?
- In the GM/H100 Setup the values for GM Synth Output Mix Level #1490 and Organ Output Mix Level #1491 should be between 100 and 120. This sets the level at the last output mixer of the DSP.
- Are the System Inits correctly set in the HX3 Editor? Typical for an organ with 2 drawbar sets per manual is the following configuration:
1496 = 0 / (not used) 1497 = 0 / Vibrato Knob Mode 1498 = 159 / CommonPreset Save/Restore Mask 1499 = 0 / (RFU) 1500 = 0 / (RFU) 1501 = 23 / Various Configurations 1 1502 = 5 / Various Configurations 2 1503 = 2 / ADC Configuration 1504 = 0 / 1st DB Set Voice Number (enabled when 0..15) 1505 = 1 / 2nd DB Set Voice Number (enabled when 1..15) 1506 = 0 / Pedal Drawbar Configuration 1507 = 100 / ADC Scaling 1508 = 4 / ADC Hysteresis 1509 = 3 / HX3 Device Type
- When moving the (in case of 2 DB sets of the active) drawbars, the corresponding values of the Upper DB, Lower DB etc. must change. If not: Are the analog inputs activated (System Inits #1503) and correctly assigned (Analog Remap)? If necessary, check the raw values of the analog inputs in the editor tab "Input Monitor".
5000 = 0 / Analog Input 0 (UPR PL22-1) Function 5001 = 1 / Analog Input 1 (UPR PL22-2) Function 5002 = 2 / Analog Input 2 (UPR PL22-3) Function 5003 = 3 / Analog Input 3 (UPR PL22-4) Function 5004 = 4 / Analog Input 4 (UPR PL22-5) Function 5005 = 5 / Analog Input 5 (UPR PL22-6) Function 5006 = 6 / Analog Input 6 (UPR PL22-7) Function 5007 = 7 / Analog Input 7 (UPR PL22-8) Function 5008 = 8 / Analog Input 8 (UPR PL22-9) Function 5009 = 80 / Analog Input 9 (UPR PL22-10) Function 5010 = 81 / Analog Input 10 (UPR PL22-11) Function ... 5024 = 255 / MPX Input 0 Function
- Are buttons and switches in Switch Remap assigned correctly? The button codes for Upper/Lower/Pedal Voices and Common Presets have changed to make room for the new Organ and Speaker models. Check all preset and voice assignments (values from 100 to 121) of the Switch Remap parameters #5100..5195 in the editor.
- Here is an example for the default assignment with 4 preset buttons on Panel16:
5132 = 0 / Input 32 (onboard Pin PL25-1) Function 5133 = 1 / Input 33 (onboard Pin PL25-2) Function 5134 = 2 / Input 34 (onboard Pin PL25-3) Function 5135 = 3 / Input 35 (onboard Pin PL25-4) Function 5136 = 4 / Input 36 (onboard Pin PL25-5) Function 5137 = 5 / Input 37 (onboard Pin PL25-6) Function 5138 = 6 / Input 38 (onboard Pin PL25-7) Function 5139 = 7 / Input 39 (onboard Pin PL25-8) Function 5140 = 104 / Input 40 (onboard Pin PL26-1) Function 5141 = 104 / Input 41 (onboard Pin PL26-2) Function 5142 = 104 / Input 42 (onboard Pin PL26-3) Function 5143 = 104 / Input 43 (onboard Pin PL26-4) Function 5144 = 12 / Input 44 (onboard Pin PL26-5) Function 5145 = 13 / Input 45 (onboard Pin PL26-6) Function 5146 = 14 / Input 46 (onboard Pin PL26-7) Function 5147 = 15 / Input 47 (onboard Pin PL26-8) Function
- When using Fatar keybeds: Are the Octave Shifts (parameters #1174 and #1175 under *Tabs*) turned off? An older presets.dat contained wrong settings here. In this case set parameter #1174 and #1175 in the editor to 0 (OFF) and save with Store Defaults, also in the HX3 Panel or the MenuPanel under preset 0. As long as no own presets have been created, it is best to update the complete presets with the presets.dat file from a current HX3 manager (Updater menu Update via USB or FTDI Cable).